St Anton is undoubtedly one of the best ski resorts in the World. With close to 100 lifts and 250km of marked runs it’s one of the biggest resorts in Austria and one of the most highly regarded resorts in the Alps. Due to the amazing skiing, consistent snow and the large number of international visitors to St Anton it’s a great to place to spend the winter as an instructor. St Anton also has one of the liveliest resort nightlife’s in the whole of the Alps, expect: Oom-pah bands, Jagermeister, Stroh Rum and crazy Euro pop/techno until the early hours of the night!
Peak Leaders run a pre-season short course in St Anton for skiers looking to work as a ski instructor for the whole winter season. The course awards successful trainees with an Austrian Anwarter qualification and guarantees all successful graduates an instructor job at one of St Anton’s busiest schools.
Below is a list of the 5 things we think make St Anton the one of the best destinations to spend an entire season working as an instructor:
5) Both Zurich and Innsbruck airports are close-by so St Anton benefits from a lot of international tourism. There aren’t many other resorts in Europe that can guarantee as much work for English-speaking instructors.
4) Within the Arlberg valley there are a number of resorts: St Anton, Lech, Stuben and St Christoph. Together they have over 120 lifts and 400km of marked runs. The terrain in the Arlberg is amazing with everything from tree runs to steep icy faces. If you’re worried about getting bored of a ski resort during a whole season don’t be because you won’t get bored of St Anton!
3) Those trainees on the Peak Leaders St Anton course that acquire their Anwarter qualification will be offered a job with Skischule Arlberg. This ski school is the biggest in Austria and not only offers Peak Leaders graduates a competitive wage but also an affordable place to live; saving the hassle and expense of finding somewhere to live during the season.
2) Did you know that St Anton is the home of modern day apres ski? The phenomenon started in 1974 when a Swedish economics student called Gunnar Munthe dropped out of University and travelled to St Anton to open the infamous Krazy Kanguruh or ‘KK’ as it’s otherwise known. Since then St Anton has had a plethora of bars open on its slopes, including the Mooserwirt. The Mooserwirt is reported to sell over 2,500 liters of beer every afternoon; which makes it the busiest bar of its size in Austria…….which is amazing when you consider it closes its doors before 9pm! So if you’re fond of a few beers or shots of Jagermeister and Flugel after skiing and you like dancing on tables to terrible music then St Anton is a very fun place to spend a season!
1) St Anton and the Arlberg area has some of the best easily accessible off-piste in Europe. With 180km of marked/patrolled unpisted runs and on average over 7m of snowfall each season there’s no doubting that St Anton is one of the best places to go freeriding in Europe. The Arlberg Valley is renowned by professional skiers and snowboarders as being one of the best spots in Europe for filming video parts. It isn’t uncommon that you’ll see pro skiers and snowboarders like local legend Gigi Ruff filming their video sections in the Arlberg.
If you’re interested in spending a season in St Anton as a qualified instructor you can check-out the details of our St Anton course here. The 4 week course starts in the middle of November.